Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Chasing "My Youth"

I wish I had pictures of yesterday's "Memorial Day" ride taken by someone riding behind me. It is important to note that the pictures would have had to have been taken from behind me so that one would also be able to see "My Youth" in front of me. "My Youth" in this instance would be my teenage son, Colin, who just so happened to be riding with the lead group along with yet another Youth (ATAC team mate Colby Allen) on yesterday's 33+ mile bicycle road ride. Last year I "hooked up" with this very same group for a wonderful ride early in the morning of Memorial Day. I had a great time, and the ride was followed by a BBQ at home of one of the rider's. This year Colin was able and allowed to accompany me on the ride, but I should have known...

Youth and ignorance will cause pain in the parent. Yes, I still feel the need to keep him in my line of vision even as he nears the age of 15. So, as he was climbing hills with apparent ease, and flying along the scenic, rural back roads of Leon County at 20 or so m.p.h., I was sweating and huffing and mashing on the pedals just to keep in him in sight. Never mind that he was not even within shouting distance or recognizable as an individual other than a cyclist. Thankfully his riding "kit" is a brightly colored jersey with lots of red and yellow, and his cycling shorts are a matching bright red. I knew if I saw red there was better than a 50/50 chance that it was Colin and Colby (also wearing red) and not necessarily the blood from an aneurysm in my brain.

Thank you to Lee S. and David K. for imparting some of your extensive riding knowledge and experience upon him. Thank you George for "hosting" the ride and showers and brunch. Thank you Kathy and Mike, Mandy and Sean, and Robert and Karin and Mike for putting up with a "snot" such as "My Youth." He did have a great time and is looking forward to another ride with all of you or perhaps Freedom Springs....

No comments:

Coaches for a Cause

Mac's "SwimSTRONG" Foundation

Mac's "SwimSTRONG" Foundation
Love this art work. Click for link to the web site. And follow Team TRI Mac at www.trimac-competingforareason.blogspot.com