Tuesday, April 7, 2015

"I Get To..." by Jon Gordon

Chris McDonald shared this with the Big Sexy Racing team this morning.  For many years, I have tried to instill this mind set and approach into my Boys' lives.  Even when they were younger, I tried - with some difficulty - to use the phrase "I get to..." or "we get to..." instead of the "... have to ..."  Sometimes we just need reminding.  Thank you, Chris.

I Get To instead of Have To
by Jon Gordon-author/speaker

Who knew that two simple words could change one's mindset, perspective and approach to work and life? Just two words have the potential to enhance joy, productivity, performance and change a complaining voice to an appreciative heart.

So often we say things like, "I have to take the kids to practice." "I have to go to this meeting." "I have to finish this project." "I have to go to work today." "I have to take care of this customer." "I have to share this new information with my team." "I have to see my family this weekend."

We act as if we don't have a choice. As if we are imprisoned by a paycheck and the expectations of a world that forces us to do things we don’t want to do.  But in reality we do have a choice. We can choose our attitude and our actions. We can choose how we view our life and work. We can realize that every day is a gift. It’s not about what we have to do. It's about what we get to do.

We get to live this life while so many like my Mom, who passed away at 59, left this world far too early. We get to drive in traffic while so many are too sick to drive a car. We get to go to a job while so many are unemployed. We get to raise our children even if they drive us nuts at times. ;-)  We get to interact with our employees and customers and make a difference in their life. We get to use our gifts and talents to make a product or provide a service. We get to eat three meals a day while millions of people are starving. We get to work on projects, answer phone calls, serve customers, participate in meetings, design, create, share, sell, lead and suit up every day for the game of life.

When I’m mentoring leaders I encourage them to focus on “get to” each day. I encourage them to focus on feeling grateful instead of stressed. The research shows we can’t be stressed and thankful at the same time so when you are feeling thankful and focusing on “get to” you fuel up with the positive emotions that uplift you rather than the stress hormones that slowly drain you. People who do this, report feeling more energized, productive and engaged at work and home.

Sure there will be challenges and life isn't easy but if we approach each day as an opportunity to learn, grow and be thankful we will live a more meaningful and powerful life.

So today join me in saying that my life is a gift not an obligation and I Get To make the most of it.
- Jon Gordon.

No comments:

Coaches for a Cause

Mac's "SwimSTRONG" Foundation

Mac's "SwimSTRONG" Foundation
Love this art work. Click for link to the web site. And follow Team TRI Mac at www.trimac-competingforareason.blogspot.com